Insights from Your Easton, PA Home Comfort Specialists
Your home’s energy efficiency is dependent on a number of different factors, including heating, cooling, lighting, electrical appliances, and other electronic devices. From the make and model you purchase, to where you install it, and when and how often you operate it, every little detail matters. In fact, in a typical monthly utility bill, around 43% of the cost pertains to your heating and cooling systems, 13% is due to water heating charges, while the remaining 45% is due to the use of lighting, appliances and electronics.
While the figures and statistics may seem overwhelming, saving energy in your home is simpler than you think. Wouldn’t you want to explore options that allow you to reduce your energy waste and make a big difference to your wallet? At Comfort Solutions HVAC, we believe that optimizing energy consumption not only makes financial sense, but also contributes towards a cleaner and greener environment. Our experts share a few useful insights on simple changes that could potentially create huge savings in your energy bills.
Top 10 Energy Saving Tips for your Home
Upgrading your home appliances to ENERGY STAR® rated versions is an effective way to bring down your monthly utility bills. Additionally, a few tweaks around the home and minor alterations in your consumption habits will go a long way in saving energy and reducing your carbon footprint.
Here are some smart, simple options to consider, and many of them do not involve any additional cost:
- Replace all the light bulbs in your home with long-lasting, energy-efficient LED bulbs.
- Whenever possible, wash your clothes in cold water, and run your dishwashers and washing machines at off-peak hours.
- Get all your appliances serviced periodically to ensure that they are consuming minimal energy, and functioning at optimum capacity.
- Turn your thermostat setting back by 7 – 10 degrees Fahrenheit than its normal setting, for 8 hours a day, and earn as much as 10% cost savings on your yearly utility bills. Upgrade to smart thermostats and enjoy convenient controls and features that optimize energy consumption of your HVAC unit.
- Since windows make up 15 to 20 percent of your home’s surface area, make sure that you seal any cracks, gaps and leaks. If your home has single-paned windows, consider replacing them with double-paned windows that have a higher R-value (insulation). Properly insulated windows can save you up to 10% on your total annual energy bills.
- If your home has a chimney, close the damper in the summer and make sure that the flue is tightly sealed. If your damper is leaking, try an inflatable chimney balloon to create a strong seal.
- Although electronic devices do not consume a lot of energy individually, the number of devices you use and the duration of your usage could hike up your energy consumption significantly. Form a habit of turning off devices that are not in use, unplugging chargers once the phones or laptops are fully-charged, and using ‘sleep’ mode for TVs and computers when not in use.
- Minimize usage of lighting systems and rely on natural light whenever possible.
- Plant trees or shrubs near your home’s exterior walls. The shrubbery will not only add great visual appeal, but also help in insulating the walls and positively contribute towards your home’s energy efficiency.
- Given that HVAC systems make up for over 40% of your energy bills, make sure that your heating and cooling system is tuned-up at regular intervals. If your system is over 15 years old, consider upgrading to newer, energy-efficient options.
At Comfort Solutions HVAC, we specialize in a range of heating and cooling solutions that focus on improving your home’s comfort and energy efficiency. Our experienced technicians are available to conduct a thorough evaluation of your HVAC system. We study your overall energy consumption patterns before offering specific suggestions to help reduce your energy bills.
Residents throughout Eastern PA and the surrounding areas of NJ depend on us for prompt and affordable HVAC installations, routine maintenance and repairs, as well as emergency, 24X7 after-hours support.
Exploring options to reduce energy consumption in your home and expand your green footprint? The experts at Comfort Solutions HVAC can help. Call 610-438-9300 to discuss your requirements or contact us online.