Holiday Safety Tips
From Your Trusted Heating and Cooling Company in Easton, PA
Holidays are a busy and fun time for most families. However, with all the shopping, decorating, cooking and partying, many of us tend to neglect home safety. Here are some tips to make this a happy and safe season for you and your loved ones.
Important Safety Precautions for the Holiday Season:
- Furnace maintenance: When was the last time you serviced your furnace? A gas leak, fire caused by a malfunctioning pilot light (in older furnaces) and poor ventilation, could have serious consequences. The older your furnace, the bigger the risks. Regular maintenance helps prevent sudden outages and hazards that could ruin your holiday season. Schedule a furnace check before the celebrations begin.
- Test your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors: Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms save lives. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) reports that the death rates during home fires were twice as high when there was no smoke alarm or one that was not working. Carbon monoxide is known as the “silent and invisible killer” because it is colorless and odorless. Its presence can only be detected by a working carbon monoxide alarm. Remember to change alarm batteries every 6 months and replace the system every 10 years.
- Use your range hood exhaust fan when cooking: Range hoods protect your health and contribute to a clean indoor environment. Ensure that yours is vented to the outside to prevent buildup of carbon monoxide, heat, steam and odors in your home during the cooking process. Never leave the stove unattended while cooking.
- Keep clutter away from furnaces, water heaters, and fireplaces: They need at least two feet of space around them for proper circulation and to operate safely. Do not store any items in the furnace room or hang stockings over a fireplace that is in use.
- Look after your Christmas tree: Your beautifully decorated tree can also be a fire hazard. Electrical malfunctions with regards to decorative lights and dry, live trees are the main causes of tree fires. Inspect all electrical decorations before using them. Also place trees away from any heat source. Water live trees daily to prevent them from drying out.
- Never overload electrical circuits: Use only certified electrical decorations and follow the recommended guidelines for extension cords. When overloaded or if frayed or worn, they can heat up and burn.
- Turn off or unplug all electrical decorations at night or before leaving your home: Leaving lit decorations (or candles) on when you are asleep or away from home is not only a fire hazard but also increases your electricity bill. One in five house fires are caused by unattended candles.
We respond promptly to all service calls. As a family-owned-and-operated business, we always look out for your best interests. Whether it is furnace repair, replacement or maintenance, your comfort is a priority.
Call us at 610-438-9300 or request an estimate for our HVAC maintenance plans in Easton, PA.