10 Tips to Keep Your Home Cool without Turning Up the AC
Money-Saving Advice from Your HVAC Team in Easton, PA
Turning up the air conditioner to beat the heat can send your utility bills soaring. To stay comfortable and save money, the U.S. Department of Energy recommends setting your thermostat to 78°F (25.5°C) when you are home. Adjusting the humidity level on your whole house humidifier to 35% will also help alleviate the discomfort. (The more humid the air, the more heat it retains.) Closing window blinds to keep out the sun and limiting indoor cooking are other simple ways to reduce temperatures. Our HVAC specialists offer tips to keep cool without driving up your energy bills.
Energy-Efficient Ways to Stay Cool this Summer
- Close your blinds during the day. Reducing the amount of sunlight entering your home can help lower your cooling bills by up to 30%.
- Plant trees near windows: They will shield your home from the sun’s rays and reduce the amount of heat your home absorbs.
- Use appliances at night. Laundry machines as well as the dishwasher generate a lot of heat. Running them at night when it is cooler will help reduce indoor temperatures.
- Turn on the range hood. It helps remove heat from the kitchen when you are cooking.
- Use the bathroom exhaust fan: It gets rid of any excess moisture and circulates air, increasing your overall indoor comfort.
- Limit indoor cooking on hot days. Use the outdoor barbeque (in the shade) instead. Cook early in the morning or evening, when necessary.
- Switch the furnace fan to ‘On’. It helps circulate the cold air generated by the air conditioner.
- Invest in ceiling fans: According to the U.S Department of Energy, using a ceiling fan in conjunction with the air conditioner will allow you to raise the thermostat setting about 4°F. This will help reduce your energy bills without impacting your comfort.
- Install a programmable thermostat: You can save money by setting temperatures for different times of the day and when you are away.
- Maintain your air conditioner: A malfunctioning air conditioner uses more energy while struggling to attain set temperatures
If you are constantly adjusting the thermostat, chances are, your AC needs attention. Our NATE Certified technicians provide skilled installation and repairs for all makes and models. You can count on the team at Comfort Solutions HVAC to quickly fix or replace the AC in your home.
Take advantage of our maintenance programs to prevent costly breakdowns and keep you comfortably cool in your Easton, PA home.
Call us at 610-438-9300 or request an estimate online for your AC installation or repair appointment.