Your Local HVAC Experts Discuss the Signs to Look for
Your air conditioner has kept you cool and comfortable through the summer and soon you may need to switch over to warming your home. Before you transition from cooling to heating, it may be time to give your HVAC system the TLC it deserves. An annual tune-up, once each for the AC and heating system is critical in optimizing the performance of the system and improving its lifespan. Maintaining the system’s energy-efficiency will also help you keep your heating and cooling costs in check.
If it has been a while since you scheduled a maintenance service, your system may already be crying out for help. The experts at Comfort Solutions HVAC discuss some of the signs that you should look for.
Top 7 Signs that Your HVAC System Needs Attention
Here are some common signs that your HVAC system is due for a tune up.
- Unexplained Spike in your Energy Bills: Higher energy costs are unavoidable when you consistently use your HVAC unit to cool or heat your home. However, if you notice any unusual increase in your utility bills, it may be a sign that your HVAC system is not working as efficiently as it should.
- Obstructed Air Flow: Consistent air flow is an essential element of running the HVAC system. Whether you need to cool your home or make it warm and toasty, without proper air flow, it is unlikely that you will be comfortable. Poor air flow could be a sign of several different problems, including leaky ducts, insufficient refrigerant, dirty coils, blocked vents, clogged filters, and more.
- Noisy Operations: Some noises when the HVAC system is kicking in or gearing down are normal. However, if you hear strange banging noises, unusual hissing, rattling, screeching, or clicking or popping sounds, your system may be facing a number of different problems. This includes installation issues, component damage, wiring issues, insufficient lubrication, faulty ducts, gas valve leaks, or some other internal problem.
- Shifting Temperatures: While the external temperatures may rapidly drop or increase, your HVAC system is supposed to keep the internal temperatures consistent with the thermostat settings. Internal temperatures going up or down in a matter of minutes or varying drastically between rooms are signs that your HVAC system needs recalibration.
- Bad Odor: A well-functioning HVAC system neutralizes odors and freshens the air. If your HVAC system is emitting an unpleasant smell, chances are that the system needs a thorough inspection. The odor could be a sign of mold buildup, dirty coils, clogged drain pans, overheated motor, wiring issues or other mechanical problems.
- Excessive Humidity: A faulty thermostat or frequent short cycles could lead to excess humidity in your home, which in turn makes your HVAC system work harder to maintain the desired temperatures. It may also impact the indoor air quality of your home. If your home feels more humid than usual, or the system keeps running all day or more frequently, it is time to schedule a tune up to improve the performance and efficiency of your heating and cooling unit.
- Age of the System: While this is not exactly a sign that your HVAC needs attention, the age of your system does impact its ability to run optimally. If your HVAC system is over 15 years old, you may not only want to schedule regular maintenance services, but also discuss an upgrade plan with your HVAC service technician to enjoy the many benefits of a new HVAC system.
Whether it is better temperature control, improved comfort, reduced energy bills, or lower repair costs, scheduling annual maintenance services for your AC and furnace have several advantages. At Comfort Solutions HVAC, our routine tune ups aim to keep your HVAC systems running smoothly and efficiently all year round. As part of the appointment, our experienced and qualified technicians thoroughly inspect your system, perform a number of cleaning and maintenance activities, and offer sound advice on preventative repairs or replacements. We also offer installation, repairs, and 24×7 emergency support for heating and cooling systems to homeowners throughout Eastern PA and surrounding areas of NJ.
We recommend scheduling a furnace tune up in fall and an AC tune up in spring to ensure your homes remains comfortable at all times. Are you ready to schedule your fall furnace maintenance? To book an appointment call the experts at Comfort Solutions at 610-438-9300 or contact us online.