Important Information from Your HVAC Team in Easton, PA
As the cool weather arrives in late September or early October, it is probably time to switch off your air conditioner. Shutting it down correctly will help ensure it works properly next summer. Here is some important information to prevent unnecessary damage and costly repairs to your HVAC system.
Step-By-Step Guide for Turning Off Your AC in Fall/Winter
- Set the thermostat to heat and adjust it to the desired temperature settings.
- Clean the outdoor unit. Remove dead leaves, branches, bugs and dust on or around it. If you need to wash it, let it dry for a few hours before you cover it again, to prevent corrosion.
- Check your air filter to see if it needs replacement. A dirty filter makes your furnace or heat pump work harder and could even cause a breakdown.
- Adjust your humidifier controller to winter settings. Some indoor air quality experts recommend keeping levels between 40 to 45% in winter.
- Turn on your furnace to make sure it is ready for the cold temperatures. Adjust the temperature to get it to start. If you hear strange sounds or get a burning smell, turn it off immediately and call an HVAC technician.
If you did not do your annual tune up for the heating and cooling systems in spring, schedule it now before winter arrives. Properly maintaining your furnace will prevent sudden breakdowns and reduce your heating bills. Our N.A.T.E. Certified technicians perform inspections, expert adjustments and skilled repairs with minimum disruption to your schedule. Timely attention will enable your furnace to work longer and more efficiently. We can also help you choose and install a smart thermostat to customize your temperature settings and optimize your energy savings.
Count on us to keep your HVAC systems running at peak efficiency in your Easton, PA home.
Call us at 610-438-9300 for more information about properly maintaining your AC and furnace. If it is time to replace your HVAC unit, you can request an estimate online.