Tips to Maximize Your AC’s Efficiency
A Helpful Guide from Your Expert HVAC Technicians
The summer season is quickly approaching and with warmer temperatures already here, it’s time to put your central air conditioning to work. As one of the largest energy expenses for most homeowners, now is the perfect time to start thinking about how you can improve your energy efficiency. In the height of summer, it’s important that you get the most out of your AC unit while avoiding those costly energy bills. Fortunately, the technicians at Comfort Solutions HVAC can help you learn more about what you can do to maximize your air conditioning efficiency so you can save on cooling costs.
How to Improve the Efficiency of Your AC Unit
There are some major benefits to improving your AC’s efficiency. If you want to save money and extend the life of your unit, read on to discover some effective ways to boost your AC efficiency this summer.
- Close all Windows and Doors: Air conditioning can easily escape through open windows and doors, leading to significant inefficiencies. If you’d prefer to let in a natural breeze, turn off your air conditioning unit before opening up your home. Additionally, you may consider closing your curtains to block out the sun and prevent the heat from warming up your home.
- Use a Programmable Thermostat: Boost your AC’s efficiency by investing in a programmable thermostat. Instead of having to constantly adjust it yourself, you can set an automatic cooling program that is based around factors like your personal schedule and seasonal weather changes. Setting a slightly higher temperature in the evening or when you leave home can help you save on your monthly cooling costs.
- Change Your Air Filter: If your air filter is clogged, it can create serious problems for your AC unit including decreasing its efficiency. If the filter is dirty, airflow becomes restricted, making it harder for your system to do its job. During the warmer months, try changing your filter every 1-3 months or have a professional do it for you.
- Insulate Exposed Ductwork: Ductwork that runs through any unconditioned space should be sealed so conditioned air cannot escape. These types of leaks significantly contribute to decreased energy efficiency and result in expensive bills. An HVAC technician can help you assess the areas of ductwork that need sealing and ensure that they are properly sealed.
- Avoid Peak Hours: On days where the weather is particularly hot, try to avoid using your oven or dryer during peak hours. When these appliances are used, they circulate warm air throughout the home and your AC will have to work twice as hard to bring the temperature back down to a comfortable level.
- Clean Your Condenser Unit: To reduce wear and tear on your outdoor condenser unit, try and provide as much shade over it as possible. The unit will also work more efficiently if it is clear from debris so make sure to give it a thorough clean by contacting an HVAC professional.
- Schedule Annual Tune-Ups: The best way to make sure your AC unit is running as efficiently as possible is to contact your local HVAC company for annual tune-ups. During the maintenance visit, your technician will assess your system to identify any issues so they can be repaired before they become serious problems. Additionally, we can make the necessary adjustments to ensure that your system is performing as well as it should.
Comfort Solutions HVAC is a family owned and operated business that is dedicated to serving residents in Easton PA and the surrounding areas. Unlike many other HVAC companies, we have chosen to focus our efforts on residential systems so you can expect quality products and services delivered by some of the most experienced technicians in the business. Whether you need a new AC unit or would like your existing system serviced, our friendly and knowledgeable service experts are here to help.
Get in touch with the skilled professionals at Comfort Solutions HVAC. We can help you maximize the efficiency of your AC unit so you can stay safe and cool all summer long. Call 610-438-9300 or contact us online.