Keeping Your Family Warm This Winter
With the cold weather season right around the corner we thought we would give you a few tips to insure your heating system is ready to keep you and your family warm.
- Replace your filter.
- Change your thermostat settings from cool to heat.
- Take out window screens and installs storm windows. By installing storm windows you will be able to decrease the amount of heat leaking through your windows and into the outdoors.
- Inspect your chimney if you have one. You should be checking for any obstructions, such as bird nests or debris. Furthermore, you should also make sure there is no significant soot buildup, as it can be a dangerous fire hazard. If your chimney hasn’t been inspected in a long time, call a professional to check it.
- Make sure the burners are free of debris and dust. Dust can accumulate during the summer. We do recommend you have a professional HVAC tech do any needed cleaning.
- Make sure your thermostat is working properly. If a thermostat is not working correctly, your heating system may not be working efficiently. Turn on your thermostat and monitor how it responds, it should start up immediately without any problems. If you have an old thermostat that must be controlled manually you should consider updating it. Set-back wi fi thermostats are the best choice because they allow you to completely control the temperature in your home and also from your smart phone.
- Check all heating vents to make sure they are completely uncovered. Throughout the year, furniture is often moved around and new furniture is brought into the home. Double-check around your house to make sure that nothing is blocking your heating vents. Blocked vents are not only useless since heat can’t get out, but they can also drive your heating cost up. In addition, a blocked vent can result in an overheated furnace. Check both your supply registers, heat blows out of these, and your return registers, the air is drawn into these.
- Schedule an appointment to clean your furnace early in the season. Reputable HVAC companies get very busy at the onset of winter, so it’s a good idea to schedule your appointment ahead of time. The best way to save money in the long run is to have a professional tune-up performed to insure your heating system is ready for the upcoming cold weather.
Contact Comfort Solutions HVAC to learn more about our detailed heating tune-up preseason special. This is a thorough examination, cleaning and testing of all components of your heating system. It is designed to give you the peace of mind knowing that your family will be warm on the coldest winter night.