As the scorching heat of summer continues to intensify each year, millions of Americans heavily rely on their air conditioning units to keep their homes cool and comfortable. However, the increased usage and potential neglect of maintenance can lead to a higher risk of breakdowns and failures. Every AC unit has a finite lifespan, and recognizing the signs that it may be on its way out can save you from safety hazards, discomfort, or worse, complete unit failure during the peak of summer. In this blog post, we’ll explore the major indicators that may suggest your AC is nearing the end of its operational life. Let’s dive in to help you stay prepared.
Knowing When It’s Time for an AC Replacement: 6 Signs of An Aging Unit
- Reduced cooling performance: If your AC is struggling to cool your home effectively, you may notice reduced airflow, longer start up times and warm air instead of cool air being released. Neglecting AC maintenance, worn out components, and physical damage to the system could all be contributing factors.
- Past its service life: On average, air conditioning units can last up to 15 years with proper yearly maintenance. If your unit has surpassed its life expectancy, investing in repairs or replacements may not be worthwhile. Consider an AC installation as a wise investment, as newer units consume significantly less energy, offering long-term energy savings, consistent cooling and improved comfort.
- Requires frequent repairs: As your unit nears the end of its life, you may find that it requires frequent and costly repairs. Broken components strain the system, leading to increased energy consumption and a subsequent rise in monthly energy bills.
- High electricity bills: While the cooling season is naturally expensive, sudden spikes in your power usage could be indicative of a malfunctioning AC unit. Seeking the expertise of an HVAC professional can help determine if your AC is the culprit behind unusually high monthly rates.
- Constant running or frequent cycling: An AC should operate in timed cycles to conserve energy while efficiently cooling your home. If your AC runs continuously, it might be a sign of low refrigerant levels or significant damage to the system. Alternatively, frequent on-off cycling could also be an indication of an issue.
- Strange sounds or smells being emitted: Growling, clattering, clicking or unusual high-pitched noises should never be ignored. Likewise, if you detect musty odors or electrical smells when the unit is running, it’s crucial to contact an HVAC professional immediately.
Ensuring Your Family’s Safety: The Importance of Upgrading Your AC Unit
When your AC starts showing signs of struggle, it might be indicating that it’s time to bid farewell to your old unit. Upgrading to a new air conditioning system is a proactive and cost-effective solution. Not only does it offer improved energy efficiency, but it also ensures that you and your loved ones stay cool and safe. Outdated AC units can pose several risks, from compromising indoor air quality to using harmful refrigerants that are detrimental to the environment and are unsafe for use. By staying attentive to the signs of when it’s time for a replacement, you can enjoy cool summers, peace of mind and embrace the advantages of a modern unit.
Discover the best cooling solution for your home today with our qualified HVAC experts at Comfort Solutions today. Contact us now to begin discussing options or to schedule an AC installation.