Expert Advice from Your Trusted HVAC Technicians
Is your HVAC unit making loud noises? While some noises may be normal, like a low hum or the sound of air moving through your vents, other noises can be disruptive and should be looked into. Hearing certain noises usually signals that your HVAC system is malfunctioning and needs expert attention. Once you can understand the differences between the sounds you hear, you’ll be better equipped to take action when it is needed. To ensure your HVAC system is operating in good condition, it needs regular tune-ups. Fortunately, the HVAC professionals at Comfort Solutions HVAC can help you determine when something isn’t right and together, we can find the right solution.
Identifying HVAC Noises and What You Should Do about Them
While noises that come from your HVAC system don’t always forewarn of an impending disaster, they may indicate that it’s time for a maintenance or repair service. Here are a few examples of sounds you may hear and what you should do to prevent delays resulting in major repair expenses.
- Rattling: A rattling sound in your HVAC system could potentially mean a number of things. If the noise is coming from your outdoor unit, it could indicate that debris such as twigs or rocks have found their way inside. To fix this issue, turn off your system completely before opening up the unit to remove whatever debris is trapped inside. If the rattling noise is coming from inside the home, it could signal that electrical or mechanical parts are coming loose or failing and it may be time to call your HVAC technician to help you confirm the problem.
- Hissing: A hissing sound may indicate that air is escaping from your HVAC system. If you notice the sound coming from your walls, then you may have a leak in your duct work. Conversely, a slight hissing sound could signal a problem with your air vents. You may have to adjust your filter if it is not fitting right or reach out to an HVAC technician for a full inspection.
- Clicking: While a clicking noise is generally a normal sound to hear when your HVAC system is starting up, an on-going clicking noise could indicate an issue with your thermostat. If the noise is coming from your control panel or outside compressor, you may have a defective relay.
- Squealing: A squealing sound often comes from an outdoor fan motor or indoor blower motor that is failing. Fortunately, these components are not too costly to repair but should be replaced before they fully breakdown. Additionally, adding a lubricant will often fix noisy motors but a high-pitched squeal could signal a refrigerant leak. If you suspect this is the case, call a professional right away as this could be very damaging to your HVAC system and put your health at risk.
- Popping: Fortunately, hearing a popping sound is a common noise when you turn your system on and off. One of the most common causes is your metal duct work expanding and creating the sound. However, if the sound is giving you a headache, you can always add insulation like foam or rubber to minimize the noise.
Comfort Solutions HVAC is a full-service heating and cooling company serving residents throughout Eastern PA and the surrounding NJ areas. We specialize in projects of all sizes so no matter what, our customers will always receive high quality services at a competitive price. Our technicians are committed to helping you get the most out of your investment. With our tools and experience, we can diagnose and correct the problem to ensure your HVAC system is restored and further damage is prevented. If any of the noises described above sound familiar to you, get in touch with one of our HVAC experts to set up a service appointment today.
Get in touch with the skilled professionals at Comfort Solutions HVAC. We provide superior products and services to ensure you get the most out of your heating and cooling systems. Call 610-438-9300 or contact us online.