Your HVAC Team in Easton, PA Offers Easy Tips
Controlling indoor humidity is not only essential to your comfort and well-being but also for preventing damage to your home and possessions. Fogging on mirrors, condensation on windows, mold and mildew stains on the wall or ceiling, a musty smell and rotting wood are often signs of excess moisture indoors. Family members with allergies, asthma and other respiratory problems may also find that their condition is aggravated. Our HVAC technicians share tips to control humidity levels in your home.
10 ways to prevent high humidity in your home
- Open windows when it feels hot and muggy.
- Install exhaust fans in areas prone to water vapor, such as your kitchen, bathrooms and laundry room.
- Clean up spills immediately and wipe down counters in your kitchen and bathrooms after use.
- Reduce the number of indoor plants.
- Ensure your dryer vent, range hood and HVAC system are properly vented outdoors.
- Clean your dryer vent every 3 months to prevent lint build up.
- Fix basement leaks.
- Inspect and clean downspouts and gutters to direct water away from your home.
- Attend to roof leaks immediately.
- Invest in a whole-house humidifier.
Humidity also impacts temperature control. The more humid the air, the more heat it retains. That is why it is important to reduce the humidity level in summer and increase it during the winter months. In addition to keeping you comfortable, maintaining the right balance can help save on your heating and cooling bills.
How to maintain ideal humidity levels
Studies show that humidity levels below 30% are too low and over 50% are too high. Some indoor air quality experts recommend keeping levels between 30 to 35% in summer and 40 to 45% in winter. Installing a hygrometer will help you determine what the levels are and whether they need correction. The easiest way to control this is by purchasing a whole-house humidifier. It works in conjunction with your HVAC system to maintain the desired level.
Ask the experienced team at Comfort Solutions HVAC to install the right humidifier for your home. Our Nate Certified technicians specialize in residential heating, cooling, humidity control and air filtration. We have years of experience matching solutions to homeowner’s needs and provide skilled installation, repairs and replacement services. You can rely on us to keep your HVAC system running optimally in your Easton, PA home.
Call us at 610-438-9300 or request an estimate online for your humidifier installation appointment.