Air Conditioner Not Working?
5 AC Troubleshooting Tips to Try Before Calling in the Pros
When the temperatures outside start to climb, your air conditioner takes on a heavier burden. Summer is a time you rely heavily on your air conditioner, but also a time of the year where you might find that your air conditioner fails to keep up.
Before you call in the pros from Comfort Solutions HVAC, troubleshoot your unit and see if you can correct the problem. If these five options do not work, give our team a call, and we will come out as quickly as possible to help restore your home to a comfortable temperature.
When the air conditioner is not working, try these 5 troubleshooting steps first:
- Check the Thermostat: Check your power and settings on the thermostat to make sure you are not running your “away” program, or that the temperature is not set too high. If your unit runs on battery power, see if the battery in the thermostat finally gave out. Replace it, then try it again.
- Power: If the air conditioner is not operating at all, check to make sure it is receiving power. Inspect the electrical panel in your home or office for any trips or blown fuses. Reset the switches and overloads, then try again.
- Consider the Filter: Some units automatically shut down when the filter becomes clogged. A clogged filter not only increases your energy consumption (and costs) but affects your blower and leads to inadequate cooling. Check the filter. If it is dirty, consider replacing it and trying again.
- Ice: Look to see if ice formed on the coils of your unit. If so, turn it off and let the ice melt from the fan. Then, try using the unit again.
- Clogged Lines: Check the condensate lines to see if you have insects, nests, or mold obstructing the flow. Before calling in a professional, try using compressed air to blow the line out and see if you can dislodge the obstruction. If you have mold, run a solution of equal parts bleach and water through to remove the mold before trying to rerun the unit. Keep in mind, however, that the power should be off.
When all else fails, contact the professionals at Comfort Solutions HVAC here in Easton, PA. Our team is here to help when your air conditioner stops working. We quickly diagnose and repair your unit so that you can get back to a comfortable summer.
Call us today at 610-438-9300 to schedule a repair or contact us online with your air conditioner questions.