What to Know About Furnace Maintenance Before You Begin
With winter just around the corner, many people are turning on their furnaces for the first time in months. After a long period of inactivity, it’s a good idea to do a few simple maintenance tasks to prepare it for the heating season. While furnace maintenance should be ongoing throughout the year, it is especially important to ensure everything is in working order prior to the first power up of the season. Inspecting and cleaning your furnace can boost your home’s energy efficiency level and prevent any issues from arising later on. While there are a few maintenance tasks you can take on yourself, scheduling a comprehensive furnace maintenance service with one of our qualified HVAC technicians will give you the best value.
We serve all of Lehigh Valley and the surrounding areas.
A DIY Checklist for Maintaining Your Furnace This Season
- Firstly, before you begin any maintenance on your furnace, power down! Always make sure that your power, furnace and fuel source are shut off before inspection.
- One of the easiest ways to enhance your furnace’s performance is to change or replace the filter. Non-pleated filters should be changed every 1-2 months, whereas pleated filters can be changed less often, on average every 2-4 months. If your filter frame is plastic, you can simply remove it and wash it as it is likely reusable.
- After you have changed your filter, open up the access panel to inspect the inside of the furnace. Remove any dust you see by using a vacuum or compressed air. Smaller parts can be cleaned with a cloth. Use a flashlight to ensure that nothing is broken or amiss. You can fix some things such as corrosion holes on your own by patching them with foil tape. However, an HVAC professional should assess most issues.
- During your inspection, take note of anything that may look unusual. Some signs to look out for include abnormally loud humming, excessive soot build up around the burner, short cycling, or a yellow pilot flame.
- Inspect your thermostat to ensure that your furnace is running smoothly. Confirm your schedule and temperature settings to make sure everything is correct. You can also check the wiring and take a reading with a temperature sensor to confirm.
- Lastly, check your heating bill! Does it seem unusually high? It could be a sign that your furnace is due for a tune up. There are some furnace maintenance tips you must never ignore!
Why Furnace Maintenance is Important
Following this simple checklist will not only improve the air quality of your home but also increase the energy efficiency and effectiveness of your furnace. Your energy bill is heavily weighted towards the performance of your furnace, so why not save money? Performing these tasks can extend the lifespan of your furnace and ultimately provide you with a healthier, more comfortable home.
Schedule your furnace maintenance appointment now to ensure your furnace is at its best before the cold weather hits. Call us at 610-438-9300 or fill out ouronline form to get in touch with one of our HVAC specialists.